Sunday, September 13, 2015

Painted Canvases

There are so many easy ways to craft on a tight budget and still have uniqueness. The second project I started with was taking blank canvases and painting designs on them for my bedroom. It was my first year at Washburn so I decided to make them WU themed. Here are the steps broken down with a few hints as well.
Photo by Bailey

Supplies needed:
A pencil, a paint brush, paint, glitter, Elmer's glue, a ruler and a clear sealant spray.

Step 1:
Draw out your design with pencil on the blank canvas. In this case, I chose to do chevron with the Washburn logo on top.

HINT:
It's best to label each chevron stripe the color you're painting it so you don't get confused. Make sure to include a stripe for the sparkles towards the bottom. as well.
Step 2:
Paint the first color for the chevron and let it dry.

HINT:
Using a smaller paint brush is best so you can easily paint between the lines.

Step 3:
Repeat with the second color for the chevron.

Step 4:
After both colors of the chevron are dry, paint the glue onto the background of the Washburn logo where the sparkles will go, as well as

HINT:
Make sure that both colors of the chevron are completely dry, otherwise once you sprinkle the sparkles on it will also stick to the wet paint. (It's a pain to get it off once that happens.) Also make sure to move quick so the glue doesn't dry.

Step 5:
Sprinkle the sparkles all over the glue until it is completely coated. Then, shake the excess sparkles off over a trash can.

Step 6:
Once you are satisfied with everything, spray the canvas with a clear sealant coat.
Photo by Bailey
HINT:
The clear sealant coat will help the sparkles from falling off and making a mess.

After the sealant has dried (about 15 minutes) you're finished.

_________________________________________________________________

Here's another canvas that I made for my bedroom with the WU theme.


Photo by Bailey
Step 1:Draw out your design with pencil on the blank canvas.

Step 2:
Paint the Navy part of the Washburn W and leave the white outline white.

Step 3:
Paint glue all around the W quickly.

Step 4:
Sprinkle the sparkles all over the glue until it is completely covered. Then shake the excess off over a trash can.

Step 5:
Spray the canvas with a clear sealant coat and you're finished.

HINT:
The hints that I listed above will be helpful for this canvas as well.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those look so nice! I think I need to make a trip up to Michael's after reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea for a push board. My daughter and I love to hold on to mementos from outings and our board is full. I think that I will create a big one of these for us to put in her room and let her have a keepsake board.

    ReplyDelete